ESO User Portal Frequently Asked Questions
- I don't have access to the ESO User Portal yet. How do I register?
- Direct your browser to the initial User Portal page, click on the link labeled "I would like to create a new account.", and follow the instructions.
- What username can I choose? For example, can I use my e-mail address?
The username needs to be alphanumeric (a-z, A-Z, 0-9), case-sensitive, and between 3 and 11 characters in length. Symbols or Unicode characters are not allowed. Thus, you cannot use your e-mail address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are usernames or passwords case-sensitive?
Usernames are case-sensitive. Passwords are case-sensitive.
- What password can I choose? For example, can I use my e-mail address?
Passwords must be 7-16 characters, with the allowed characters being A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and the symbols !, @, #, $, %, and *. Neither commas nor periods are allowed, and spaces are also forbidden. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
- I forgot my username. What should I do?
If you have forgotten your username, please go to the main ESO User Portal login page (http://www.eso.org/UserPortal). On that web page, click on the link "I forgot my ESO User Portal username." You will then be prompted for your surname and e-mail address (both as given in the User Portal). After you click on the "Send me my username" button a check is made to see if the surname is associated with the e-mail address. Providing the two are associated in our records the username will be sent to that e-mail address.
- I forgot my password. What should I do?
If you have forgotten your password, please go to the main ESO User Portal login page (http://www.eso.org/UserPortal). On that web page, you will find a link "I forgot my ESO User Portal password.". Once you click on that link you will be prompted for your username. After you click on the "Send me instructions" button an e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address associated with that username. This e-mail provides instructions for how to change your password, or cancel the password change.
- I forgot both my username and my password. What should I do?
If you have forgotten both your username and your password you should first request your username (see "I forgot my username. What should I do?" above). The e-mail that is sent also provides a link to reset your password.
- My contact details have changed. How can I be sure ESO has the latest information?
You can and should update your contact details yourself by entering the correct information on the Manage Profile page. Remember to click on the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of that page to save your revisions.
- I'm trying to manage my User Profile, but my institute does not appear in the drop-down list. What should I do?
In this case, you should click on the "Institute not found?" link above the institute field on the right side. This will allow you to report the missing institute to ESO for consideration.
- What is the Professional Status?
The Professional Status is a means for ESO to better understand our client base, and improve our services.
- What is the Employer Country/Organisation?
The Employer Country/Organisation is the country or organisation code of your present employer. The information provided in this field of the form is used both for ESO observing proposal preparation and for archival statistical purposes.
- What is the Institute?
The Institute is simply the institute or organisation for which you work. In case your institute does not appear in the dropdown list please click on the "Institute not found?" link above the institute field on the right side. This will allow you to report the missing institute to ESO for consideration.
- I am not affiliated with any institute, but I am being prompted to input one. What should I do?
In such a case please contact the User Support Department and explain the situation.
- How can I delete my ESO User Portal account?
Please contact the User Support Department with details of your account.
- I have two (or more) different accounts (that is, two (or more) usernames). How can I merge them?
If you have created (an) additional account(s), please contact the User Support Department with details of the accounts, including which one you would like to retain, so that we can merge your user accounts into one single account. This is highly recommended in order for you to access your entire communication history with ESO in one single place.